June 20, 2008

Dari Calang...

Hello Again All,

This post is coming straight from Calang! My apologies for the delay...our connection is quite inconsistent.

I wanted to first thank you all so much for your comments. They have been an AWESOME encouragement.

Ok...now for the good stuff.

Publishing blogs when your heart is bursting with emotion, experience, love, joy, hurt, struggles, and all in an environment that is nothing less than 'foreign'...can be difficult.

There is an overwhelming amount of blog worthy news but I have to be choosey are you all may stop reading ;)

So I will dish it out in doses. Today I'll share a bit about what I've done and what I'll be doing. Once I've had some time to chew on things I'll post my thoughts/feelings thus far :)

This place is incredible. I've seen the jungle (in tact and deforested...), a beach that would blow your mind (think National Geographic), community (real, small, intimate, involved), and the FH staff here I'm convinced are God's answer to a mother's prayers. So know that I am in loving hands :)

The past few days have been a hodge-podge of hands on orientation. It might help if I lay out the basics of Calang operations. Calang is used as a home base for FH operations in and around the area. From there they operate in a handful of nearby villages running various programs from basic literacy and numeracy training for children, sewing and embroidery skills for young girls, and an increasingly popular agriculture program aimed at walking alongside of local farmers and sharing with them a new method of rice farming.

Yesterday we ventured over some treacherous terrain (I have a newfound respect for Ford Rangers) and into the heart of the jungle. There is a village on the outskirts of the jungle that has no jobs to offer its already impoverished (poverty is also working a new definition in my mind) members. So the Indonesian government flattened a few hectare in the jungle, built a sort-of-road to it and are hoping to develop it as farmable land for some of the villagers. Right now there is just one man and his family living out there trying to get things going. FH supplies the man with cocoa plants...we delivered them.

And today we spent time a little closer to home base celebrating with a village as we helped plant in one of their rice fields. I spent a little too much time in the sun *blush* and got a little sick...but your encouragement and an unexpected dose of really good American music here in the internet building is helping me recover :)

Even though I have soooo much more to share, I am going to leave you with this for now. I will get back on here as soon as I can!

Things are going really well. I love the people and the place that is Calang Indonesia. And honestly (and unexpectedly) I'm missing home :)

I love you all and will post again soon!

Until then...

Please pray for the padi (think rice paddy) that we planted today. Successful implementation of the SRI method (check out www.indelibleindo.blogspot.com for David's blurb about SRI farming) is of utmost importance for FH's stay here. It is central to their...our ministry :)

Also pray for David and me. David got a cold (seriously, one degree from the equator??) the first day and is still a little under the weather. And I'd like to shake this dehydration or whatever it is before our first weekend here. We're clicking really well with the staff and I'd love to be an encouragement to them. I can't do that with a raging headache though!

In devotionals Esran shared how he begins and ends each day and it's slowly working it's way into my daily routine. In the morning, write down what your responsibilities are wherever your are. For me my responsibilities include BEING here as best as I can, learning about FH Indonesia, and loving the staff and community. And then write God's responsibilities...in my case I need to rely on Him to help me stay focused while I'm here, give me patience and sharpness of mind to learn about FH within the language barrier (which is breaking down quickly!), and grow a heart in me for the staff and community here.

And then in the evening you can gauge where you fell short and where you took on too much. I've been feeling a bit of the 'white man's' burden. Feeling guilty for every 'luxury' I enjoy back home and feeling bad for being inclined to do things the way I'm used to. This has been getting in the way of me being here. As backwards as it sounds I'm trying too hard to BE me...here :)

Ok ok ok...I promise there is more to come. Thanks again so much for all your support. And PLEASE keep posting comments. It helps a ton.

Peace for now!

9 comments:

SendingBenjamin said...

Dude, gotta admit... I'm a little jealous. God has given us similar hearts, and mine longs for the barren and dirty. Germany is great, extremely streaching.

I long to share with you, know you're in my prayers!

auntjulie said...

Andrew, Wow! You are quite the writer. Your relating all that goes on reminds me of your great grandpa and how he would talk about his life.

Columbus recently experienced flooding that seemed unimaginable. Homes destroyed, businesses wiped out by horribly smelly filthy water. Even the hospital is closed and that is huge. Less than 10 miles away we are not touched except by the guilt of still having all our possessions and just doing the ordinary things of the day while others are throwing away a part of themselves- at least that is what they feel at this moment. However grateful for life and limb, there are those memories that were lost - family pictures and albums, favorite gifts from loved ones and cherished items made by children and grandchildren. God has brought out the good, though, as He always does. Sometimes He just has to shake us up to remember what in life is most important.

Your blog is a reminder of all that. Thanks for going to Indonesia. Thank God for your enthusiasiasm and love for others. What a blessing you are and how you are challenging me to love others more, especially those who may seem the least.

Praying for your safety and health and that you might remain just a little homesick (for your mom's sake).

Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow!

Mrs.S said...

Hey little bro...your blog is oh so interesting and inspiring. I look forward to it every day as my summer drags on. I am so proud of your courageousness in this endeavor. I know being in a foreign country can be a bit overwhelming, and the homesickness can surprise you. The work you are doing is truly admired and appreciated. It amazes me to see how my little brother has developed into such a thoughtful, God-loving, inspiring man...I guess the tutus and Barbies didn't do that much damage after all:) Well...dad keeps trying to post comments but can't figure it out so I am on here trying to figure it out for him. Hopefully we will accomplish that task soon:) Until then...

Love,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Hi...testing for dad:)

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with your aunt, your writing has gotten a lot better, especially your voice. Which I miss and wish I could hear, but the blog is surprisingly still satisfactory.

As far as missing home, I'm glad you miss home. And not being able to be yourself, I'm glad you get it. The thing about culture is, you start to be your biggest obstacle, which is a weird thing to experience. I never really know how to get past the fact that I'm white, an American, and I come from a middle class back ground... it's amazing how something like that can get in the way.

I love you! keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Andrew, glad you were able to update your blog.. There are several people anxious to view your updates including the grandparents. I just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you and miss you very much!! I am glad you made it to Calang alright and sounds like you are doing well. From your posting you have been eating well (just like home right?). I will keep this short for now (imagine that)but wanted to let you know we are praying for you and are looking forward to hearing from you again. I hope you are feeling better. Please let us know if you need anything. Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew,

It's Mom.... Gary has completed his blog response training and so now we are in business. Thinking of you always and hoping you are doing well.

We visited your location again today with pictures ... compliments from Dave. I can't wait to see Indonesia from your 'point of view' (the camera buff). We also had a little geography lesson and have clarified which body of water you will be dipping your toes in this summer. PLEASE REMEMBER SUNSCREEN! :)

Take care and write when you can... love you much and pray for you every minute of the day!!!!

love, mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Andrew,

Just checking in again tonight and trying to learn how to use this new form of communication. Who said they can't teach "old dogs" new tricks? Hope you have had a good day and that you are remembering to drink plenty of liquids.

It's been a beautiful day here. Your Dad and Grandpa went fishing and caught some nice bass. Your Mom and Dad will enjoy eating them next week.

They are looking forward to visiting Ashley and Santi next month.

Your Dad is going to assist me in sending this to you . . so take care . .we love you . . . God Bless! Love, Grandma Jo

Asheville NC Butler's said...

Great to see you doing this Andrew. You have a good heart and a family that supports you and your endeavors regardless of how far they may take you...you are blessed. These things allow many good things to happen, not only for you and the life that continues to unfold, but for those whose lives you are able to touch in those places far from home. You always seem to make the most of your God-given talents, and I'm sure they will allow you to prosper in this adventure. We'll send a prayer, thought and occasional meditation up in your honor. Proud of you...can only imagine how proud your mom and dad must be. Cracked up reading the comments..."Don't forget the sunscreen"....Gotta love moms...especially the ones that find a way to love their kids unconditionally; reminds me of a carpenter I know pretty well. Get back to work, and keep writing the blogs.