July 13, 2008

Saya Ke Lhok Gelumpang Untuk Satu Minggu!

Hello again wonderful brothers and sisters in Love!

Wow. What a great weekend we had here in Calang! Following my news I will share with you a detailed outpouring of my thoughts from the weekend:

Since I’ve been here in Indo I have been processing: ‘What’s my role here? What’s FH’s role here? How can my time be best spent?’

And since that first week I’ve come up with a score of responses: ‘Oh! I can be a blessing to the Calang team…I can help with the big picture piecing together this business plan stuff…I can be an example of Love to the Acehnese people by focusing on learning their language and culture…I can… I can…I can…’ Well the Truth is, as I’m coming to realize and as David Curtis and the rest of the Phoenix staff informed us before we left my time here is not about what I can or will do in these two short months. It’s about (sorry for the cliché) what God will do.

God most certainly is doing here in Calang. I’m learning much about living intentionally both at home and abroad. I’m learning about community and fellowship. I’m learning about rice farming and salat (Muslim prayer). He’s bending, breaking and shaping my heart. He is moving in and through our staff here as they set out to love the Acehnese people.

And every day He reminds us of His glory, His grace and His sovereign reign with amazing ocean views, beautiful sunsets, rugged jungle-covered mountains, morning praise and fellowship in a mixture of Indonesian and English, seasoned conversation with Acehnese security guards, ‘maids’, farmers, children, co-workers, friends and neighbors…with torrential downpours, the blazing sunshine, a gentle breeze…a laugh shared, a smile offered and received, ‘hello mister’ and ‘puhaba buh’…rice planting and soccer games, Josh Garrels and traditional Batak flute…He was and is and is to come…Alpha and Omega…in your heart and mine. He is everywhere always and so are His people and His plans.

My prayer is for humility. My prayer is that I might be here to serve, not just be served.

So with that heart I will set out this week into the jungle with Ronal and Yono, both of whom have encouraged me tremendously recently. I will live with them in their posko for a week doing all I can (or rather getting out of the way of His work as best I can) to make it easier for them to live and love as they have been amongst the rural Acehnese farmers.

That said I wanted to let you all know that I’ll be away from internet access for the week. And my plan for this coming weekend will be to read all of your wonderful emails and comments of encouragement 

And with that, I will leave you with a little raw ‘journaling’ I did about my Saturday here. Enjoy!

Today was awesome. In fact I shared that with ban Jim on the back of the motorbike as we rode out to the fellowship time.

It started around 8:30 when I finally rolled out of bed. I headed straight for the kamar kecil (sweet relief) and then ate some wonderful rice. I've been eating significantly more than when I first got here and am actually afraid of missing the grub when I head home. *sigh* the bitter sweetness of travel...

I read for a spell (a book that Uncle Steve got me) and was happy to see the discernment the Lord is building up in me. Wisdom to follow? This 'Devout' as he so pompously refers to himself has some funny hermeneutical methods...anyways, it's been a good read.

After that we played our usual 2 hour or so long game of Mexican train (a domino game that takes two hours but lasts for what seems to be two weeks). I gotta say...it was fun at first...but I find myself losing patience after the double 8 or so.

Then we all headed to the kitchen for a surprise batch of nasi pati (that sticky rice stuff and coconut/brown sugar). It's alright...but a bit too sweet for my tooth.

I dinked around on the guitar for a little while with Tio. I love listening to him play/sing. Especially 'I Surrender All'. I asked if I could sometime record him and Kak Wenni before I leave. They agreed : )

After that, the crew busted out the badminton net. On Saturdays this usually doesn't happen until 4 or so at the earliest. Throughout the day it's just 'too hot' : )

David asked if I wanted to go for a run. I apologized (sort of casually) the other day for being a terrible running partner. I think this was his way of asserting that we stick with our routine : ) plus I know he really enjoys it and running alone is only fun sometimes.

Reluctantly I agreed to go and slipped into his extra pair of tennis shoes. Seriously bro those shoes have been a lifesaver!

We decided to head RIGHT out of the posko rather than taking our usual route. We'd talked earlier today (on our way to Logica for the internet! That's what I forgot! I was able to copy a bunch of Josh Garrel's lyrics, download another one of his songs and email mom and dad requesting that they preorder a copy of his new album for me haha) about how AMAZING the view of the ocean was as you round the bend leaving our encampment. So I grabbed my camera just in case it was photo-worthy.

To our dismay we made a brief stop only to peer out over a dull ocean blanketed by a drab grey sky. I snapped a few quick shots, pointing out all the equipment I would need to take some 'good' pictures and we hit the road again. It was such a good run...down to Logica, around the bend and back to the posko over the back side of that hill. I'd say it was a good 5 km.

By the time we got back to the posko it was about 5:15. I told Jimi we'd try to be back by 5:10 so he and I could go to the 'store' to buy some soap. I've been critically low for a few days now *blush* But before I had the chance to cool down and re-hydrate Ronal reminded us that he had hoped to go to the beach tonight. I think David and I were both a little hesitant at first. But out of tremendous respect for Ronal and what I can only say was a little nudge from the Helper...we peeled off our sweat-soaked running garb and slipped into our swim shorts. (if you don’t have board shorts…get some, they’re amazing)

I'm telling you this beach is unbelievable. I promise at some point you will see pictures and or video of it... : )

Anyways, we swam for a little while but, as Ronal put it "nothing special". Then some Acehnese hoodlums (haha any male between the ages of 15-18 can be up to nothing but trouble :) ) came down with a soccer ball. I asked Ronal if it was ok for me to ask if we could play. So he said "sure, ask!" Hiking up my trousers I confidently strolled their direction. "Bole kami bermain?" I asked as naturally as I could. "Ya, bole!" was the response.

For the next hour and a half we played some AWESOME barefoot sand soccer with a size 3 soccer ball and some bicycle kicking Acehnese dudes. David later commented that that was the most incredible field he'd ever played on. The occasional wave would come in further than expected and haul our bola out to sea. It became a skill to be able to dribble in the ebbs and flows. Crosses had to clear the large rocks that jutted up out of the sand perpendicular to the two dried out branches which marked the goals. And when someone scored, both teams would retreat (about 10 steps) to the ocean to wash off all the grainy sand.

Once my team had been sufficiently destroyed by 4 or 5 goals they said "Ayo bercan di laut!" And who could say no to that refreshing water after a tough game of football? So swim we did. David and I were both afforded the opportunity to exchange a few words with the boys before we headed out. Not only was I encouraged by the way my language skills are progressing. But more so it was an awesome opportunity to churn my heart for another side to the gem that is the people of Aceh. Until today most of our interaction with the locals has been with older folks in the community. But today I got to interact with an age I can relate to. These boys are just like we were...much more independent, but still they talk about silly things...wonder about the western world, Michael Ballak (and his 'pretty wife'), listen to Bob Marley and I'm sure smoke the occasional ganja.

*disclaimer* When I say “they are just like we were” I mean that these teenage boys are no different than any teenage boy I grew up with 

As the call to prayer rang out through the town the boys decided it was time to head in.

So the three amigos (Ronal, David and I) were left to enjoy the most incredible sunset I’ve seen here. As much as I would love to describe it to you, words really don’t do it justice.

We headed back to the posko just before dark to clean up a bit and grab a bite to eat. I had forgotten that two Americans who had befriended the FH staff were holding a fellowship time at 8pm. So I scurried around the posko showering and dining as quickly as I could. Ban Jimi and I headed out together about 2 minutes after the rest of the team 

The fellowship time was really encouraging. The American couple hope to facilitate conversation about working in this area. I think in a deeper place in their heart they just want to provide a place for like hearted folks to come and share/encourage each other to keep loving, learning and leading in their work with the Acehnese. It’s great to know that there is someplace where the staff can go to be reminded about and supported in the ultimate reason they are here.

David and I are planning on having dinner with the American couple this Wednesday. He and I have been bouncing some thoughts off each other and are anxious to get the perspective of foreigners who are living and working here long term.

Ok, I’d say that’s enough to read for one week 

Please be in prayer for my time in Lhok Galumpang. Pray for Ronal and Yono because they have to live with me for a week 

Also pray for the American couple. Their work here is important to the success of FH and their work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

Take care the week you are in travel and we will be praying for you and your friends. As always... we enjoy the details of your experience and look forward to your posts.

love, mom and dad

ps... the CD is on order :)

Anonymous said...

I'll miss you, be safe :)

Anonymous said...

Oh and I'm really glad to see you are journaling more comprehensively.. isn't it a great way to process?

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to know no matter where we go, whether across country or across the globe, the same God is in every place we go before we get there and after we leave. Sometimes the best we can hope for is to not mess up what he already has going on and sometimes we get to leave a smile, a friend, and a lasting impression reinforcing that there is a God that loves everyone and cares for them. We do that by doing just what you are doing, sharing smiles and love without being a "pushy" christian. God will open a door or create the harvest when it's time. all we can do is walk in the path he has laid before us. Keep up the good walk.