May 12, 2008

Down Time and Updates

I emailed my contact at Food for the Hungry yesterday. I explained that I am settled in now until I head out for Phoenix on the 4th of June and was wondering if he could recommend reading material for me to better prepare myself. *Sigh* It seems like every time I post one of these I am gushing with excitement. Well, this time is no different :) Admittedly I had a hard time as school came to a close as I just wanted everything else to fall away so I could focus 100% on Indonesia. Well that time is here.

Pray that I would be diligent with the few weeks of preparation that I have. I have committed to spending an hour every day practicing the language. As previously mentioned I hope to make a large part of my trip about learning the language. So far so good! The world wide web has proven to be an invaluable resource. Last night I made flashcards of some basic words and phrases :)

Also, I receive an update every Monday from FH on my support raising situation. So far I am at about $1,300 which is a steady third of my budget. I am still waiting on a response from my church in Bloomington and another church in North Vernon. I am confident that the Lord will provide. Pray that this peace would stay. As time runs out it will become easier to fret...and worry...and to control. Also pray that the support would come in quickly! The sooner the better for the sake of those at FH. They have the responsibility of processing all the funds, buying plane tickets, connecting with the team on the ground in Calang etc.

As I prepare mentally (language practice and area research) and spiritually (prayer, prayer, prayer) a constant source of encouragement has been the music of an amazing man of God, Josh Garrels. Since you can't be here with me jammin' to Josh and flipping through flashcards I thought it might be cool for you to at least join me in spirit. Josh's song Restless Ones captures my heart for this trip, ministry in general, and ultimately my soul-deep thirsting for His Coming Kingdom.

In closing I would like to ask that you continue in prayer for the people of Asia. The recent earthquake in China that has thus far claimed 12,000 lives has only added to the suffering in the area. And the situation in Myanmar continues to deteriorate. Pray that brothers and sisters in this part of the world would rise up and love in this time of desperation. That as the world around them is falling apart (quite literally) they would hold fast to the peace of God...and those who don't yet know that peace would see it and long for it.

Check out the FH website for updates on their presence in the area.

Grace and peace!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey bud :) You should update your page with where you are in the support raising process. Super proud of who you are and the way you've been growing lately. Such a blessing :) x "tecaw"