June 25, 2008

Hari Lagi (Another Day)

Another day has passed here in Calang, Indonesia. But this day was different than the others.

Until today we have been in a state of cultural acclimation. From the weather, to the language, even the food...everything is foreign here. Thankfully we've had a bit of time to adjust. During this process our 'work load' has been relatively light. As I've mentioned in previous posts I've spent the bulk of my time traveling around with the staff and learning the lay of the land.

But today David and I began work on our first 'real' (real is a very relative term...you think there's nothing real about leaving everything familiar for an extended period of time like I used to think, you've got another thing comin'!) assignment.

To be brief and a little bit confidential (cool, huh?!) fh is brainstorming options for future operations here in Calang. I may have mentioned this in a previous post as well so I'll keep it light. They've narrowed it down to two choices; wrap up operations along with all the other NGOs who are packing up and heading home, or develop a way to be financially self-sustaining.

In 2009 the government organization responsible for tsunami relief will be disbanding. The bad news for fh and other NGOs is that they will be taking grant money etc. with them. FH is considering establishing a co-op. The co-op would help farmers that we have been working with (training, consulting with, assisting etc.) market and sell the excess rice they have been growing. The hope is that through a profit sharing system (built in reinvestment) would return some of the profits to the community through FH programs (education, agriculture and livelihood trainings).

David and I are working with the Calang staff and country director to better understand the inner-workings of such a project.

It's been fun! I really enjoy this type of problem solving. However before we dove in to the spreadsheet making, document writing, email sending 'go mode' of such a project...we spent some time walking around the posko and praying about the project.

As we were warned before getting to the field, it is easy to lose focus of our purpose here (as individual interns and even as an organization). The last thing we want to do is engineer a program supporting machine and lose all contact with the reality of the hope that we are here to share; the everlasting hope of Jesus Christ.

Please pray that we (David and I) wouldn't be blinded by the excitement of development work. Pray that our hearts would remained focus on God and His truth. Also, it seems like it will take a miracle for things to work out so that FH can continue operations in Indonesia after exhausting its funds in 2009. Pray for that miracle. The staff here really have a heart for the people of Aceh (and I'm sure of Nias and Medan as well). They are doing great things in great ways and reaching people for His cause. Pray that they would be able to continue that work into the future.

And thanks Sim, for that reminder :) It's tough not getting you "Daily Bible verse" text messages!

I love you all! Put in an order for me next time your at Applebee's! Man I would kill for a BBQ Burger............*sigh*

Peace for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew, from your update is sounds like you are beginning to adjust to your environment which I am sure is difficult. I am glad to see you are able to work with David on your project. I would like to hear more detail when you return and really anxious to see the any pictures you have taken when you get back home. I just wanted to add this comment to let you know we are praying for you and miss you very much. I think your blog has worked out well and we look forward to your updates. Take care of yourself.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm starting to miss American food as well. I quick story...
When I was a little girl my parents used to get really excited and tell us we were going to go to Wendy's. We would drive an hour and a half to Jakarta and go to the only Wendy's. It's amazing how something as simple as fast food can become such a piece of "home." In the U.S. I tend to treat fast food like a plague. Yesterday, we went to McDonalds.. It was fantastic.. LOL