June 30, 2008

Ok, this one is gonna be short, but sweet :)

And actually a few days delayed. It is now Monday and we finally were afforded access to the internet. I wrote the following post on Saturday!

All is well here in Calang. We spent the morning (Saturday morning) crafting some fishing poles out of some bamboo we had growing behind the posko and trying our hand at fishing at the beach just down the road...no luck.

Saturdays are pretty slow here. Everyone is tired from the week and typically just lounge around until everything cools down a bit. Then the badminton rackets come out and the fun begins! So I have that to look forward to this evening.

We also have some sort of 'cross cultural ministry' meeting tonight at 8 (which was actually moved to next week...) From the sound of things some other area Christian NGOs will be meeting to discuss ministering in a culture that is different than your own. Should be good :)

Yesterday we spent alllllll day (9-12 and then 3:30-7) planting one of our bigger rice fields. Friday is sort of a sabbath for Muslism. So we had to take a long lunch from 12:30-2 to honor their prayer time. Planting was a blast though. It's neat to see the community rally together around FH staff who are here to love and help them. I am admittedly a little sore today ;)

So I spent my day making a powerpoint for all of you. I've been frustrated at not being able to share pictures because of horrible upload speeds. So I pieced together some powerpoint slides with pictures and commentary. I will email them to mom and dad (hughes3@insightbb.com) So that I only have to upload once I will ask that you email them if you'd like to see my pictures. I'll have them forward the files around! *I'm actually not sure this is going to work but I will try. So email mom and dad anyways if you'd like a copy and if they have it, they'll send it...if not I will do my best to get it to them!!!

Assuming it works out alright this time I will continue to update you with pictures this way.

Ok, it took me 2 hours to put those pictures together. I'm going to get going for some R&R with the rest of the gang!

Prayer requests before I go:

David and I chatted the other night. I expressed some curiosity about the spiritual condition of some of our staff. After the discussion I committed to involving myself in some discussions geared specifically towards 'spiritual things'. I'm not sure what exactly that looks like...I just want to go deeper with some of the staff and be more vulnerable myself with them. Pray that those conversations go well and are fruitful!

Also pray about this co-op thing. It looks like things are slowly coming together for the better. Miscommunications between Calang and Medan have been a bit frustrating I think but we're pushing through. It's difficult not having consistent internet...

Oh and speaking of internet. We're working on talking with our NGO neighbors, the Canadian Red Cross about sharing their wireless connection. If they would allow us that would be a HUGE blessing! So pray that we would be welcomed!!!

Alright, keep the comments/emails coming. I love hearing how things are going back home!

Sampai nanti!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love badminton, I'm glad you are growing in your knowledge of the sport.. not the picnic girly game it is in the U.S.

Wow, planting a field all day.. tan yet?

Also, it's awesome to try to help the other believers grow, be careful though not to get to internal and focused on doctrine. Culture makes different parts of the gospel harder/easier to understand. Try to grow and learn together but remember the part where Paul says he doesn't care who is telling the gospel message as long as it is being told. Praise God they are doing it!