July 26, 2008

Resolved

Today we had farewell party for Yono and me. We were going to head over to Lhok Geulumpang to this sweet beach…but because ‘rainy season’ here is in full swing and it’s overcast again today, we just stuck around the posko. But the rain didn’t stop us from buying nenas (pineapple)! So I was happy : )

After the party was over I sat down to write a little update post for you all.

I have been reading through Ephesians this week. And to supplement the Scriptures I am reading through Jonathan Edward’s Resolutions and a John Piper book that was given to us through FH called Don’t Waste Your Life. Between Piper’s consistent message that “God being glorified and God being enjoyed are not separate categories”, and Edwards’ Resolutions such as his fourth, “Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it…” I have had some edifying food for thought.

And rather than try to summarize all this amazing stuff in one giant disheveled mess of a blog post like I had originally intended...I'm just going to share with you a few more of Edwards' Resolutions.

I hope that they feed your soul like they've fed mine. And I would encourage you to really dive into them. He leaves plenty of room for exploration :)

"BEING sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake.

1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty, and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many and how great soever.

3. Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.

6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

12. Resolved, if I take delight in it as a gratification of pride, or vanity, or on any such account, immediately to throw it by.

22. Resolved, to endeavor to obtain for myself as much happiness, in the other world, as I possibly can, with all the power, might, vigor, and vehemence, yea violence, I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way that can be thought of.

64. Resolved, when I find those “groanings which cannot be uttered" [Rom. 8:26], of which the Apostle speaks, and those “breakings of soul for the longing it hath," of which the Psalmist speaks, Psalm 119:20, that I will promote them to the utmost of my power, and that I will not be weary of earnestly endeavoring to vent my desires, nor of the repetitions of such earnestness.

70. Let there be something of benevolence, in all that I speak.

49. Resolved, that this never shall be, if I can help it."

As Edwards himself highlights in his introduction to his Resolutions, the only power by which we can have the slightest hope of the all-fulfilling joy which comes from living a life pleasing to the Lord is the saving name of Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YO BRO ANDREW! IT'S AUNT MELITA JIVE TALKIN HERE, HA HA HA!
I LOVE THIS POST IN YOUR BLOG.YOU ARE ONE TERRIFIC, SENSIBLE YOUNG MAN! KEEP IT UP! YOU ARE AWESOME!UNBELIEVABLE!

AUNT MELITA

SendingBenjamin said...

I Love Res. # 64

Brother I know that this is a sober time for you... I can almost picture the look in your eyes. I am sure you have paced a rut in the sand too.

I also know the Huge smile that comes with the joy you have experienced.

Remember the chapter in Hard Times about time?

I'll see you soon, and it brings a goofy smile to my face.

Tuesday is on the way. Lets make it a lunch...

Anonymous said...

xgxalaqLooking forward to seeing you soon, Andrew. Aunt Melita said it all . . you are one terrific young man. Glad you have had such a positive experience this summer and eager to hear you tell us about it when you get home. Take care, we are keeping you in our hearts and prayers. God Bless . . .Love, Grandma Jo

Anonymous said...

I too look forward to hearing all about the adventures...perhaps after Euchre around the Holidays.

Shawn and Lori/Butlerkids