August 4, 2008

Goin' Home

***Note: This blog is a few days behind...I fly out from Medan in 9 hours :)***

Throughout my time here in Indo, one particular musician has proven a consistent source of encouragement (ask David, he'll tell ya!)


And as I pack my bags (both the 'way too big for just two months away' green duffel bag as well as the emotional baggage I've been unpacking with gusto)to head out, the words of his (Josh Garrels, of course) song "Going Home" have faithfully accompanied the process...

I, I’m going home

she, she’s going home

we, we’re going home

going home

when we die

going home

in the sky

going home

by and by

going home

to live with Christ

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah
Amen

...It really is a beautiful song.

As I process through the weightier parts of this trip (relationships established and left behind...souls who don't know the hope to which we have been called...the body of Christ...missions...the Gospel) God keeps bringing me back to the simple Truth in the words of this song. My home is in Christ.

The other day I was perusing the blog of a dear friend of mine when I stumbled across a post that had been tucked away in his Archives. He is preparing to move from Indiana to New Jersey to work with a church plant next month and writes about leaving home.

I encourage you to check out the whole post (by clicking the words "a post")...but the hope that it pointed me to was this:

I am leaving Calang tomorrow morning around 7 am (for those who are worrying about my travels, I will fly from Meulaboh to Medan tomorrow, from Medan to Phoenix on Tuesday the 5th and then from Phoenix to Indiana on the 9th...and I'll do my best to keep you posted throughout). I'm going home.

When I get there I suppose there will be a week or so of rejoicing, relaxing, and rejuvenating. I have scores of friends and family to update, Thank You letters to write, presentations to plan and schedule, I have to find housing for this Fall (pray for that!), and then there's all the hustle and bustle of the forthcoming semester.

Before long, however, my restless soul will feel that deep down itch for a new place. Home (Bloomington, Indiana, the US...Earth) will have provided a much needed sanctuary. But the satisfaction fades. There is a place prepared for me in my Father's house to which no worldly wind, no matter how full it fills my sails, can carry me.

The blog post ends with this exhortation:

We must shape our lives around the reality of true hope, our home in Christ. Else we have no hope. “For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, you too will appear with him in glory” (Colossians 3:3-4). God is our portion, our heritage. So we die to ourselves and live for Christ. Why New Jersey? I don’t know. :)
But my Father does.


Pray for safe travels. Pray that I don't miss any flights.

Pray that as I head back, get things settled in for my last semester and plan steps for after graduation, I would shape my life around the reality of true hope. My hope and my home in Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew, the life lessons you've experienced will prepare you in ways that won't understand for years to come. You will wonder why so many here act the way they do and why so much is taken for granted. There will be times of frustration with people that don't realize how good their life is. But most of all, you have learned that whether across the state, the country, or the world, there is nothing bigger than our God and the hope he gives us makes us smile and makes people wonder what you've got. Looking forward to seeing you home. Safe journey.

SendingBenjamin said...

Brother.

You got me listening to our man Josh on you tube looping... God moves through his mouth.

Such a wonder God moves though these broken bodies.

You got me missing Paul too.

The fellowships God weaves between us is just as miraculous.

Man.

We're not be home yet, but the Spirit Lives in us. The curtain is torn and the holy of holy is in us now.

Such joy, seeing how God is manifesting Himself in those I hold dearest.

See you soon Hughes.